BR1M 1 2 3
KUCHING: The Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M) scheme may be continued in future if the Government has sufficient funds.
Announcing this yesterday, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said this was a popular request from people he met during his walkabouts.
“When I was in Sibu (on Friday), I met an ex-serviceman who shook my hand and said thank you for the one-off BR1M assistance. There were others who asked, ‘Datuk, can we get it again?’
“That’s a popular request and it is quite attractive. If the Opposition can do Bersih 1, 2 and 3, we can do BR1M 1, 2 and 3 – which will be of greater benefit to the people if we can afford it. Let me check my figures first,” he said to cheers from the crowd when launching the Janji Ditepati programme at the Wisma Bapa Malaysia carpark here.
The BR1M scheme provides cash assistance of RM500 to families with a household income of less than RM3,000 a month. Some 4.2 million families nationwide have benefited from it so far.
Najib refuted the Opposition’s claims that the Government borrowed money from the World Bank to finance BR1M and other assistance to the people. “They cannot show any proof because we did not borrow money. Instead, we used our own economic strength to give to the people,” he said.
He said the Barisan Nasional government was one which listened to the people and kept its promises.
“From our successful administration of the country, we have returned the proceeds to the people through various programmes like BR1M, RM100 assistance for 5.3 million school students and RM200 book vouchers for 1.3 million tertiary students,” he said.
The Prime Minister also said the Federal Government had kept its promise to bring development to Sarawak.
Click here to read the full news report at The Star: PM: BR1M may be continued if funds available