SARA 1Malaysia FAQ – General
This is a special scheme introduced by the Government of Malaysia aimed at promoting the participation of the low income group to save and invest; apart from assisting them in managing the impact of the rising current cost of living.
The Scheme will be implemented in collaboration with Permodalan Nasional Berhad and selected financial institutions.
Through this Scheme, eligible Malaysians will have the opportunity to apply for a RM5,000 loan to invest in Amanah Saham 1Malaysia (AS 1Malaysia)I managed by Amanah Saham Nasional Berhad (ASNB)*, and will receive attractive incentive payments on their savings and investments.
*ASNB is a wholly owned subsidiary of PNB responsible for managing AS 1Malaysia unit trust fund.
2. What are the special features of the Scheme?
Participants need to pay only minimum monthly payments for 5 years. Monthly incentives are provided to participants in the form of additional AS 1Malaysia units.
3. What is the total amount of loan available for the Scheme?
The total amount of loan available is RM500 million.
4. How many people are expected to benefit from the Scheme?
The Scheme aims to achieve a participation of 100,000 households with an allocation based on first-come-first-served basis.
5. Is there a limitation to the number of eligible participants per household?
Yes, only one household is eligible to obtain the loan funding. A household refers to individuals with gross household monthly income of between RM500 and RM3,000 including the following categories:
- i. Married – a combination of gross income of the husband and wife;
- ii. Single mothers or fathers – individual gross income.