Socso to nail errant employers nationwide starting May
The Social Security Organisation (Socso) will launch a massive operation nationwide starting May 5 to track down employers, who failed to register their workers with the organisation.
Its chief executive Datuk K. Selvarajah said, as of December last year, only six million employees were covered under the scheme with some 393,359 employers, who actively contributed to it.
He said a total of 3,096 employers were compounded a total of RM2.788 million last year for various offences, including failure to register their enterprises and employees as well as delays in reporting accidents.
Selvarajah also said 1,827 employers were also charged in court with total fines of RM298,800 last year.
“The intention is not to burden employers but ensure their employees are insured and protected under the scheme,” he told reporters after the launch of ‘Pemutihan Ops Kesan Perkeso 2014′ here today.
An employer hiring one worker and above must register with Socso and make the mandatory contribution in accordance with Section 3 (1) of Employee’s Social Security Act, 1969, and, failing which, they are liable to a fine not exceeding RM10,000 or two years jail or both, he said.
He advised employers who had yet to register their workers to do so before this May 1. He said Socso also undertook several new initiatives such as “Smart Detection” to trace employees eligible for contribution under the principle of “Once Eligible, Always Eligible” in collaboration with the employer.
Employees earning a monthly salary of RM3,000 and below were eligible to be registered with Socso while those with salary exceeding RM3,000 previously could still continue with their contribution, he said.